Monday 14 January 2013

GOSSIPING COACH!

Eight months of wedding never gave me an opportunity to travel in public transport. With a chauffer driven car (personal chauffer ;) my husband), always standing at my door, I started dreading travelling via public transports. But things are never constant. I stepped in metro after eight months to travel, to my new office premise in, Mandi house.

I was excited a bit but had lot many assumptions and notions that things would have changed. As a usual procedure I reached nearest metro station and checked if my year old metro card has any balance available in it or it needs to be recharged. I was thrilled to see Rs.70 balance amount in it. Everything was so usual. I was standing in queue to swipe the card and enter in. Another usual sight, one side of escalator was not working. Like others, I preferred to go on platfrom via lift and not climb the stairs due to heavy laptop bag. I have given off the habit of carrying this laptop or better say school bag since the time I got married but now I had no choice but to carry. Anyhow, the metro going towards Dwarka arrived. I remembered the instructions... travel in ladies coach, be safe, be alert etc etc. I felt myself like a 15 year old kid traveling alone for the first time. 

I carefully stepped in first coach of the train meant for ladies. I realised that I have not missed much in last eight months. "He has told me not to share it with vishal....", I smiled at the statement. Few young girls gossiping about college and friends. I looked at the other side "ab full time maid rakh li meri mother-in-law se kaam nahi hota na.. aur me baht thak jaati hoon'...acha.. chal acha hai tujhe bhi aaram milega..." the most popular and favourite saas-bahu discussion was brewing. I kind of controled my laughter and suddenly someone standing next to be shrieked, "I havent send this mail dont you get it....bas ab use koi kaam nahi denge... woh aisa hi karta hai". It didnt take me time to guess that it's official call. "Maya doesnt work at all you know and draws highest salary. Us din maine us se kaha ki mujhe suresh sir ki file chahiye to kehti hai I am not authorised...." and it went on. 

Women busy listening music, laughing, talking, singing.... it is same as eight months ago... the same crowd at the end of the coach where menfolk would step on each other to sneak and glance at what's happening in this coach of the train... why the hell it is so noisy... or just to barge in and see the women around but be careful now... the metro scenario might not have changed but attitudes have. There is definitely a stern attitude if you stare at women.

My station was nearing and I had to make the way towards the gate amidst the heavy crowd, bags and purses on the floor. I looked around.. the advertisements were hanging. I got down at metro....looked back and said to myself.... "Welcome back Priyanka."! I will be travelling with my newspaper and mp3 player from tomorrow. I reached in just 15 minutes without honkings and unwanted looks. Metro rocks and definitely "life-line" for delhities especially women. I do miss comfort and looks of my better half but 15 minutes of this travel time fills me with ideas...WOW!!! metro mata ki jai ho.

1 comment:

  1. Hei Priyanka.... nothing has changed in metro... not really... may be we are the same.... sharing our little worries/concerns, laughing, listening to our favorite music, reading, settling the issues at office and home, just being ourselves (not worrying about the stares.... in the ladies coach) in the comfort zone of metro.....

    ReplyDelete

comment