Friday 16 November 2012

Killing Festivals!

I used to consider myself a vigilant citizen.... but just being vigilant doesn't help. I have been asking this question since August when I first witnessed the Yamuna - flowing quietly inside the city and not disturbing anyone. As soon as I start for my office - I cross the DND and pass by Yamuna where big barricades were not put up to save it from our insensitivities.

The entire affair started from August. Monsoon was normal this year and Yamuna was enjoying flowing in full swing with heavy current under it. It was a pleasing sight..... it witnessed large number of migratory birds...chirping and flying around. For a moment one wouldnt believe to be residing in Delhi. But as said good never stays for long, it also didnt stay.

I have seen the fading beauty of Yamuna where thousands of idols were immersed after Durga Pooja (no offences to anyone) left Yamuna choking and on top of it all pooja Samagri after Diwali. Dusshera has not left the city without affecting its environmental standards. And now "chaht pooja" is nearing by.

I might sound like an atheist but I believe in preparing for disposal systen first. Is the city like Delhi ready for bearing the brunt of all this festivities. Will we keep flooding Yamuna with wood, plastic, chemicals, insoulable materials and will keep blaming government for not creating systems. Over 1500 crore has been spent on cleaning Yamuna, Central Pollution Control Board has declared that air pollutants levels were high this year as compared to 2011.

The river which meets 70% of our water needs must be respected. All I see in Yamuna now is stagnant water with flower petals, wood pieces, dirt, plastic...... and to add more... uncles throwing dirt of their house in Yamuna while driving to office. Car will be parked on the DND and a well-dressed aunty will be stepping down to handover a huge packet in hand of a ragpicker to be thrown in Yamuna.... how vigilant and educated.... I sometimes wonder.

There is definitely a solution though a tough one.... but it needs backing of political will. The times are changing now so why cant the process of celebrating these traditional festivals can be changed. We are ready to send e-messages to relatives, send flowers on-line and wish loved ones over skype and facebook but we not ready to compromise with the traditional ways of celebration. Can't we have 10 effigys of Ravan to get burnt during Dussehra..... 10 idols of Durga to be immersed in water and complete ban on bursting crackers..... WE want clean environment for our generations but what are we doing besides accusing government. Are we ready to compromise our so called, generations old religious and social ego which are now giving birth to killing festivals.  

I called myself vigilant - I called up thrice on 100 number in two days to put off the annoying sound of loud speakers after waiting till 11.30pm... I call myself vigilant and just think about solutions....I call myself vigilant and I want to enjoy festivals and I hate to move around coverig my nose protecting myself from inhaling pollutants after Diwali. I want to enjoy the sight of migratory birds cherishing the Yamuna waters..... freely and Yamuna breathing freely.... in my city New Delhi!

1 comment:

  1. Nice and a really thoughtful insight. I completely agree with you and feel sad as to how today in the name of religious celebrations people are spoiling our rivers and the societal decorum. It requires an attitudinal change and for that, people require a thought leader who can show them the way around it. I am glad some one at-least has started the process. All the best & count me in :)

    ReplyDelete

comment